Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thirty Days Hath September


Out on the pier where I first believed
Sits a dream deferred, a soul bereaved.
The sun sinks alone and thaws in the sea.

The remains - bathed in dust - picked up by the breeze.

9/30/09

I wrote this today while sitting at Au Bon Pain. I usually allow green tea, windows, and cold weather to elicit whatever they please. This poem is what resulted. What's it about? asked a friend. The best answer I could give is that it's about running out of time. Knowing that you can do anything, but you can't do everything you want. If you can gather that kind of emotion from reading it, then I've done my job. And you can pat yourself on the back for getting how poetry works.

Anyway, time for updates!

I've been reading Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking, in which she outlines the year after her husband's sudden death. She expounds on loss, grieving, faith, spirituality...It sounds incredibly depressing, doesn't it? But it helps me deal with a lot of emotion right now in regard to my grandfather, whose death I don't allow myself to talk about enough. At the same time, it's difficult to do so when the closest of my friends are, ironically, far away in miles. I simply don't open up so readily to just anybody.

Tonight, I went to a Tri-Caucus (Black, Hispanic, Asian-American Caucuses) mixer at the Newseum, which usually costs money to get into. The view was fabulous, and the drinks were free! Thank you, Nabila, for taking me out and introducing me around to Hill staffers. I had a great time. Check out the view to which we were privy:




All aboaaaaard! For a special promotion of the new A Christmas Carol movie with Jim Carrey, directed by Robert Zemeckis, Disney decked out - not a hall, but - an entire train! On display inside were samples of the movie's original artwork, demonstrations of the CGI technology they used, and interactive activities for the family. Outside, while we were waiting in line, we were serenaded by carolers. I hauled ass to Union Station downtown after I got off work and was greeted by the smell of gingerbread and the sight of fake snow. It felt like a California Christmas. Great job, Disney. The spirit found me on the east coast, and I couldn't be happier.






My mother sent me banh trung thu (moon cake) for the autumn moon festival. I have been having moon cake for breakfast with artichoke tea every morning! Joseph sent me this awesome picture of Mickey Mouse moon cake:


Gotta admit. I'm not in love with it, but I am warming up to the city. There, I said it. Netflix awaits. Tonight it's Aaron Eckhart in Thank You for Smoking. Good night, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment