Sunday, September 20, 2009

Light Under the Door

What do you call the light that comes through under your door? There has to be a more poetic, succinct way of describing it than "light under the door." This is what I stared at for two hours straight while trying to fall asleep just now. That's what I get for taking afternoon naps. I got myself sick this weekend and was trying to rest, so that's my excuse. Then again, excuses can only take you so far because here I am, breathing through one good nostril, blogging at 3:01 A.M. eastern time. Who said insomnia had to stop after college? My sleeping patterns do not know the bounds of academia.

I drove to Clarksburg, MD today. What a beautiful place to raise a family. Too bad that family will be oblivious to the low-income population within a 30-minute drive of this area. Check out the front lawn on this house. A friend of mine who studied real estate once told me that your front lawn is worth much more than your back lawn. Given that, these people must be loaded. The entire neighborhood was along the same lines as this house, as if everything were straight out of an Old America picture album. The people I met spoke with a bit of a southern drawl. I half expected women in gingham gowns to come outside to tend to the horses and milk the cows. Were it not for the SUV's parked in the driveways, I would have been fooled.


So what brought me to Clarksburg in the first place was this beauty:

It is a Craigslist gem! I was looking for an old CRT-TV for my room and came across this posting online. Being the Disney fanatic I am, I had to have it. The couple I bought it from had bought it for their son, who outgew it. I flat out told them that I'm 21 years old and still haven't outgrown Disney. They laughed (politely). And yes, the ears are the television speakers.

I'm going to keep searching for things to blog about until I get sleepy enough to go to bed again.

So I made this awesome salad today:
  • Spinach
  • Balela (Middle Eastern salad of chick peas, garbanzo and black beans, onion, tomato, cilantro, lemon juice, and olive oil)
  • Raspberry vinaigrette
On the side, I had blue tortilla chips and edamame hummus. All of these ingredients can be purchased at Trader Joe's :)

Oh! I also managed to record a song yesterday, pre-congestion. It's a cover of "Change is Hard" by She & Him. By the way, Zooey Deschanel just got married today. So to all the hardcore fans/suitors, sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqmWC-50Dg



All right, well that did it. I'm beat. Lily out.

(Psst. You want to know a secret? I don't know about you, but sometimes I think about stealing away and doing what I really love - performing. I'm doing an open mic this week in D.C. and think I'll start using "Lily Bee" as my stage name. What do you guys think? Am I crazy?)

No comments:

Post a Comment