Monday, September 28, 2009


Just watched Catch Me If You Can. Bought the book (used) soon after seeing it. If Frank Abagnale, Jr. could con banks country-wide and worldwide before turning 19, then that means I'm behind!

Although I don't plan to make a career out of conning government agencies, life still awaits. A lot of the time at night I wonder why I'm not at home with my family and close friends. Other times like today there is a split and I start thinking, Now waittaminute, Lilian. There's still a lot to be done. And there is!

For instance, today I met with a partner non-profit to outline the year in terms of what we want to get done in terms of community outreach. There are phone calls to be made, interviews to conduct, programs to plan, and much more than I could ever have imagined. I find that although I'm far from home, being here enables me to do a lot of good for a community that is growing. I am now a part of this process and am eager to make myself useful.

It's gotten to a point now where I have begun to question: Could this one year stint away from home potentially be a springboard for more adventures abroad? I know I gripe a lot about missing California, but now that I've dealt with re-location and displacement, could this mean that I could go through the motions again in a different place, doing different things? I'm doing Washington, D.C. for a year. What could be next? New York? Boston? Paris?

Thanks a lot, Abagnale.

We'll see...I'm going to take this one step at a time. Next step: Make lunch for tomorrow. I think I can handle that.

1 comment:

  1. i didnt realize that was something that you wrote! I thought it was Langston Hughes at first. I felt everything that you wanted to convey in the piece when I read it on my phone. PS: TYFS has an awesome soundtrack. :)

    ReplyDelete