Wednesday, August 12, 2009

63 Days of D.C.

one day after work

So the other day I gave a Capitol tour without my glasses on, figuring that I'd given the tour enough times to do it with my eyes closed. Or without proper vision correction, at LEAST. Halfway into a spiel about a statue of George Washington, a 4th grader in my group raised his hand and pointed out that the statue was actually Martin Luther King, Jr.

I came back to the office and voluntarily put myself on phones as a punishment. There was a lot of ranting and raving about health care. At the end of one call, I politely said, "Thank you, Sir. I'll be sure to pass on your message." After a long silence, the speaker on the other line spat, "I'm NOT a Sir. I'm a ma'am," and hung up on me.

Today, I went to Silver Spring, Maryland to see about a desk I'm buying for this weekend when I start moving into my new place. A guy approached me and asked if he could have my number. I told him I was flattered, but no. He kept asking if he could have my "numba" even though I kept giving him excuses. I'm too old for you. I'm not looking for a boyfriend. I have carpal tunnel syndrome. I half expected him to tell me to work my up-do. Fortunately, I got to where I was going and he went away.

...Otherwise, I'm doing fine!

I miss Vietnamese food and Mexican food like crazy. I can't find any decent pho or breakfast burritos around here.

There's a guy that works at Potbelly Sandwiches by my place that I think is cute. He gives me free cookies and ice cream because I started coming by just to say hello after work. I've been on a couple dates since I've gotten here. I feel way too grown up going out in business suits and heels.

I complain a lot about the things I don't like about D.C., but if I really think hard about it, the bright side outweighs the things I nitpick on.

The same day I got rained on a drenched walking home from the Metro station, I saw a rainbow over work. You win some, you lose some.

The National Gallery after work

Screen on the Green at the National Mall

Jazz in the Park on Fridays @ the Sculpture Garden






WHITE HOUSE TOUR TOMORROW, WOOHOO! If I get to fist bump Michelle Obama, I'll die happy!



Books Read Recently:

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (reading)
Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam, Jr.
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide by Karl F. Kuhn (don't laugh)

Movies Watched Recently:
October Sky
The Life Aquatic
Revolutionary Road
Mystic River
Ray
500 Days of Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment