Saturday, December 5, 2009

Let It Snow!

I woke up this morning to what I thought was the sound of rain. My roommate told me that it was snowing outside, and before my eyes were even completely open, I stumbled over my own feet on my way to the window. My breath fogged up the glass as I pressed it against our picture window and observed for the first time Maryland's winter wonderland.

I threw on every warm article of clothing I owned within a 10 ft. radius of me and ran outside with my camera.







It's so beautiful to watch the trees fill up with snow. No wonder snowfall inspires so much poetry. It really is quite a sight to see! If only Robert Frost could have been standing there with me to witness such a morning! I stood there in the quiet morning and recited one of my favorite poems by him from memory:

Whose woods these are, I think I know
His house is in the village, though
He will not see me stopping here
To see his woods fill up with snow

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake
The only other sounds the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
But I've got promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep
It was one of the more soulful moments of this life of mine. As much as California is still where the heart is, no matter how hard it tried, it would not be able to reproduce the same experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment